Saturday, April 10, 2010

Bella's Littlest Pet Shop Snail Cake

Our little girl is 6!! Wow. I could go on forever about how much she has grown and developed, but that's for a different blog...I'll stick to cakes here! :)

For her birthday, B wanted a Littlest Pet Shop - themed cake. (Even though she didn't have a single LPS toy, Daddy had recently bought some LPS stickers for her Valentine, which she loved) So we looked online for ideas, and she just loved the little snail in www.cakejournal.com (a site I enjoy immensely!).

I pretty much followed the pictures online and created the snail completely out of fondant. The eyes had to be sufficiently goggly without being alien-like, which posed a bit of a challenge. After several tries with different sizes and placements, I think she turned out pretty cute.

I originally planned on making the base of the cake look like a brown flower pot, so I spent way too much of my lifetime kneading cocoa powder into fondant to get it sufficiently brown. But upon looking at the cheery colours of the snail, I felt I had to make the pot more fun and girly, thus deciding on those happy polka dots on the base! Ahhh, much better. I guess I'll just slowly eat my way through that chunk of chocolate fondant...

But,
wait a minute! It's still missing something... There's too much space on the top. Ooh!!! I'll make a tree with the brown fondant to give it an extra element. Right, then.

After several lame (literally) attempts to make a standing tree on the top with skewers, I decided on just making some "twigs" to place in the shape of the number 6 on the surface of the cake. (Clever girl! I'll just pat myself on the back there...) Of course, bare twigs won't do. Break out the flower and leaf-cutters! Et voila! An approximation of the cherry blossoms that bloom in the spring. Hmmm.... Snail, Six, Spring. By George, I think we've got it!!! Why, B's birthday just happens to be on the first day of spring! SSSerendipity.


Happy Birthday, sweet girl. I love you BIG!!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment