Sunday, March 22, 2009

Itty Bitty Safari Cakes

I made these cakes for Brianna, a girl at my church, who loves animals! She really wanted little cakes as individual favors for her birthday party guest, and I was thrilled to try something different!

I found a Noah's Ark cookie cutter set with the mini shapes perfect for the cakes. I covered each cookie in royal icing, and let them dry before adding all the details. They were labor-intensive, but a lot of fun to create.


Brianna's favorite colors were green and yellow, so I decided to cover the cake base with yellow fondant and green fondant leaves. My little assistant, Bella, helped punch out the leaves. Each cake was crumb-coated in apricot preserves before being iced with chocolate butter-cream, with finally the fondant, and the cookie on top!


I found the clear take-out containers at the Party Store, and just added a few decorative touches - a green and yellow polka-dot ribbon on the side, and Brianna's initial stamped on a piece of paper glued to the front. The packaging really helped to finish the look of the individual cakes.


They were super cute, but I still couldn't resist eating the extras!

No comments:

Post a Comment