Monday, March 2, 2009

Guitar Cake


My lovely friend, Jen, asked me to do a guitar cake for her daughter Katelyn, who was turning 7 and having a High School Musical party. She got a picture online of a Fender to use as a model.

It started as two chocolate sheet cakes. I traced and cut out the shape after it cooled.
The toughest parts about this cake were: coloring the fondant (literally took hours of kneading the paste color in until I got the vibrant red and the dark brown), and doing the strings and knobs.

My first attempt using dry spaghetti for strings was awful. They stuck out at all angles, and I couldn't get them to line up...So I gave up, slept on it, and thought of using real string. I ended up using embroidery thread! All six threads for the first string, five for the next...until the last string - which was a single thread. It was a challenge to get them to line up with all the knobs, etc. but after a few hours of playing with them, they finally looked right.


You can actually tighten each string with the knob, like a real guitar! The knobs were made with fondant stuck in the side with toothpicks, then brushed with silver powder.


My friend, Linda, who is a shopper extraordinaire, found some High School Musical stamps that I used on pieces of fondant to surround the cake.


I was ecstatic when Jen told me how much Katelyn loved her cake! It was so much fun to make, and I was relieved that the birthday girl and her friends enjoyed it!

No comments:

Post a Comment